About Reverse Mortgage Counseling
So, you decided to speak with one of our reverse mortgage consultants. You decided that a reverse mortgage is right for you. What’s the next step?
The next step is a conversation with a federal, government-approved counselor. This is a vital part of the process, required by the government before you can complete your reverse mortgage application. It only takes around 60 minutes.
You’ll receive an independent, third-party counselor who does not work for Crown Reverse Mortgage. She or he is required to educate you about your options—regardless of whether or not you choose to continue pursuing a reverse mortgage.
"Why is counseling required? What does it do for me as a homeowner?"
Getting a reverse mortgage loan is a big financial decision.
It requires careful consideration—and a trained counselor can help you navigate both emotionally and practically.
He or she can help you fully understand how reverse mortgages work, so you can make an informed and confident decision.
Plus, it’s a great opportunity to make sure that all your questions have been answered. You’ll be clear on all of the details—the process, the financial implications, your options, and more.
Who you choose for counseling is entirely up to you, as long as the one you choose is approved by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Your Crown Reverse Mortgage Financial reverse mortgage consultant will provide you with a list of counselors in your area for your convenience.
Plus, there are also a number of national HUD-approved agencies you can call for further assistance:
Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Atlanta (CCCS of Atlanta):
Money Management International (MMI):
National Council on Aging (NCOA):
National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC):
- You choose an approved counselor and call to schedule an appointment.
- The counselor sends you a bundle of materials to review.
- During your over-the-phone or in-person appointment, the counselor will discuss your reverse mortgage options and obligations with you. He or she will also assess your financial needs and current financial situation.
- Your counselor issues a certificate to you when your session is complete (usually within 60 to 90 minutes).
- Now you can share your certificate with your Crown Reverse Mortgage Financial consultant. At this point, you can complete your reverse mortgage application. It’s as simple as that!